I’ve decided that I’m skipping NaNoWriMo this year.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of a month of frenzied writing. No editing, no looking back, just getting that sucker done. I’ve attempted it two years running now; year one I think I might have over-planned a bit, and I wasn’t even planning on doing it last year until I got hit with some killer inspiration a couple of weeks before it began. Every year though I end up feeling guilty thinking about other things that I’ve let fall by the wayside, and here I am starting another project… So, I’ve decided that I’m going to do something different this year. I’m declaring this month Knock-It-Out November.
Since my original name of Get-$#@%-Done November doesn’t quite roll off the tongue, I’ve decided that Knock-It-Out November serves my purposes nicely. I’ve got several things that I’ve been procrastinating on, so I’m dedicating this month to getting some of that stuff done. And to help out with the effort, I’m putting my task list right here for all to see. A little extra accountability never hurt anybody, right?
There’s a quote that I stumbled across that I think sums it up nicely. “The main thing holding back writers isn’t a lack of talent, but rather a lack of a deadline.” I think we need that looming specter to give us that needed roundhouse to the posterior from time to time.
Tasks for Knock-It-Out November
– Finish that course on programming apps.
– Finish cleaning my home office so that I can actually get my drawing desk in there. My office has been in a state not unlike a garage sale in hell for the better part of forever, so it’s high time that I’m actually able to see the floor.
– Get back to reading this book. It’s been a wonderful resource for unblocking and kicking my own creativity in the nads; while admittedly a little new age-y in parts, there are some pretty good insights in here.
– Write up that intro for Funkstarr Prime. That’s… a bit of a long story and I’ll feed you guys the details on that soon enough!
– Draw more. This one is pretty vague, so I’ll say that I need to draw, ink and share at least three pieces before this month is done.
So, who’s with me? What are you looking to get knocked out this month?